The
Scot, 71, has won 38 trophies since taking over at Old Trafford in
November 1986, including this season's Premier League title.
His haul includes 13 league titles, two Champions League crowns, five FA Cups and five League Cups.
"The decision to retire is one that I have thought a great deal about. It is the right time," Ferguson said.
"It was important to me to leave an organisation in the strongest possible shape and I believe I have done so.
"The
quality of this league winning squad, and the balance of ages within
it, bodes well for continued success at the highest level whilst the
structure of the youth set-up will ensure that the long-term future of
the club remains a bright one.
"Our training
facilities are amongst the finest in global sport and our home Old
Trafford is rightfully regarded as one of the leading venues in the
world.
"Going forward, I am delighted to take
on the roles of both Director and Ambassador for the club. With these
activities, along with my many other interests, I am looking forward to
the future.
"I must pay tribute to my family,
their love and support has been essential. My wife Cathy has been the
key figure throughout my career.”
Ferguson is
the most successful manager in the history of the British game and
famously won a treble (league, FA Cup and Champions League) in 1999.
He will undergo a hip operation in the offseason and that may have triggered his decision to step down.
Bookmakers
have made Everton manager David Moyes odds-on favourite to take over at
Old Trafford, though Real Madrid's Jose Mourinho is also a frontrunner.

No comments:
Post a Comment